A division of the whales that comprises the toothed whales.
- Suborder Odontoceti, order Cetacea
More example sentences
- The extant sub-orders are the Mysticeti (baleen whales) and the Odontoceti (toothed whales).
- Modern whales may be divided into two subgroups: the Odontoceti (toothed whales) and the Mysticeti (baleen whales).
- In the Late Oligocene, a fundamental split occurred between the Odontoceti and the Mysticeti.
modern Latin (plural), from Greek odous, odont- 'tooth' + ceti 'of a whale' (genitive of cetus, from Greek kētos 'whale').
- More example sentences
- Within odontocete cetaceans, variation in body design affects stability and turning performance.
- Both the mysticetes and odontocetes are thought to be descendants of the archaeocetes.
- Dolphins and porpoises are examples of odontocetes, as are belugas, narwhals, killer whales, sperm whales, and beaked whales.
Definition of Odontoceti in:
- The US English dictionary