- A class of echinoderms that comprises the brittlestars.More example sentences
- Of all echinoderms, the Ophiuroidea may have the strongest tendency toward 5-segment radial symmetry.
- Brittle stars of the Ophiuroidea are predators, deposit feeders, scavengers, and suspension feeders, which feed by outstretching their arms to capture prey.
- Members of the Asteroidea are often called ‘true starfish’ and are closely related to the Ophiuroidea, having a common ancestor in the Ordovican.
modern Latin (plural), based on the genus name Ophiura, from Greek ophis 'snake' + oura 'tail'.
More definitions of OphiuroideaDefinition of Ophiuroidea in:
- The US English dictionary