noun (plural same or Oromos)
- 1A member of an East African people, the largest ethnic group in Ethiopia.More example sentences
- The Oromo are the largest tribe in Ethiopia, and have long wanted to establish their own country.
- Yet another movement claimed to represent the Oromo, Ethiopia's most populous group.
- Great Britain, France, and Italy supported the Ethiopian colonization of Oromos.
- 2 [mass noun] The Cushitic language of the Oromo, spoken by more than 30 million people in several different dialects.More example sentences
- However, the most commonly spoken languages in Ethiopia are Amharic and Oromo.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Oromo or their language.More example sentences
- Moving on to a different celebration, the colorful festivities of the Oromo people.
- In Melbourne, many families support relatives who cannot join them due to the current immigration laws and the fact that not all Oromo people are accepted as refugees.
- On Tuesday 24 August the event focuses on Ethiopian writers such as Shantam Shubisa, who is also an internationally recognised singer from the Oromo tribe in Ethiopia.
the name in Oromo. Another name is Galla, which is not favoured by the Oromo themselves and is regarded as pejorative.
More definitions of OromoDefinition of Oromo in:
- The US English dictionary