- A small spiny North American deciduous tree which bears inedible green orange-like fruit. Its durable orange-coloured timber was formerly used by American Indians for bows and other weapons.
More example sentences
- Maclura pomifera, family Moraceae
- Connie Barlow writes that the Osage orange tree is rare.
- Probably one of the most common questions I hear is ‘Is it okay to make a bow from a wood other than yew or Osage orange?’
- These extinct American herbivores once dispersed the seeds of such big-fruited plants as honey locust, Kentucky coffee tree, and Osage orange, all of which produce fruits that no native animal today regards as food.
More definitions of Osage orangeDefinition of Osage orange in:
- The US English dictionary