A small spiny North American deciduous tree which bears inedible green orange-like fruit. Its durable orange-coloured timber was formerly used by American Indians for bows and other weapons.
- Maclura pomifera, family Moraceae
More example sentences
- Connie Barlow writes that the Osage orange tree is rare.
- Probably one of the most common questions I hear is ‘Is it okay to make a bow from a wood other than yew or Osage orange?’
- These extinct American herbivores once dispersed the seeds of such big-fruited plants as honey locust, Kentucky coffee tree, and Osage orange, all of which produce fruits that no native animal today regards as food.
Definition of Osage orange in:
- The US English dictionary