Definition of Paget's disease in English:
1A chronic disease of elderly people characterized by alteration of bone tissue, especially in the spine, skull, or pelvis, sometimes causing severe pain; osteitis deformans.
- Patients with bone pain caused by Paget's disease usually describe the pain as continuous.
- Conditions such as an uncorrected fracture of the shin bone, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis or Paget's disease can distort the ends of the bones and cause knock knee in adults.
- It is indicated for the treatment of osteoporosis in post-menopausal women and the treatment of Paget's disease of bone.
2An inflammation of the nipple associated with breast cancer.
- A prolonged rash or irritation of the nipple may indicate a special kind of breast cancer called Paget's disease, which specifically affects the nipple.
- The rash might have been eczema or dermatitis, but its location made me worry about Paget's disease of the breast.
- A rash, redness, scaliness around the nipple or itching that lasts several weeks could also be a sign of eczema or Paget's disease, a rare form of breast cancer.
late 19th century: named after Sir James Paget (1814–99), English surgeon.
Definition of Paget's disease in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan