- The major Jewish spring festival which commemorates the liberation of the Israelites from Egyptian slavery, lasting seven or eight days from the 15th day of Nisan.More example sentences
- Every year, Jews celebrate the Feast of Passover to commemorate the liberation of the Children of Israel, as commanded by God in Exodus 13.
- The Jewish festival of Passover was all but nationalised because it told the story of the Exodus, how Jews left slavery in Pharaoh's Egypt to become free peoples in their own land.
- The date of Easter, which is based on the Jewish festival of Passover, is still calculated using the Metonic cycle (via the golden number).
from pass over 'pass without touching', with reference to the exemption of the Israelites from the death of their firstborn (Exod. 12).
More definitions of PassoverDefinition of Passover in:
- The US English dictionary