Definition of Pentecost in English:
- As the church prepares to celebrate the ascension and Pentecost, readings are focused on the life of the disciples after Jesus.
- First, assorted passages from Revelation made up the second reading for six of the seven Sundays between Easter and Pentecost.
- Of course, these stern warnings only make sense in light of what was announced and celebrated on Pentecost and Trinity Sundays.
- As we look at the account of the first Pentecost, it clearly was not just another day.
- As we look at the Church from the Day of Pentecost to today, we see four very clear eras.
- At another level, one has to make a conscious choice to move beyond denial and answer the question: How much do we let the spirit of the day of Pentecost become part of our spirituality and vocations of training, pastoral care and counseling?
- The account in Acts 2 presupposes the Jewish festival of Pentecost which commemorates the giving of the Torah.
- The Christian festival of Pentecost also comes from Shavuot.
- The Feast of the Pentecost was a Pilgrimage Feast, a Jewish Thanksgiving that drew all ‘nations’ together.
Old English pentecosten, via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek pentēkostē (hēmera) 'fiftieth (day)' (because the Jewish festival is held on the fiftieth day after the second day of Passover).
Words that rhyme with Pentecostteleost • oncost • glasnost
Definition of Pentecost in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.