- A shallow, circular, transparent dish with a flat lid, used for the culture of microorganisms.More example sentences
- Five pieces of embryogenic tissue were cultured in Petri dishes containing 35 ml maturation medium.
- Twenty fresh anthers were selected from ten plants at random; ten were kept on dry blotting paper in Petri dishes and the other ten were kept in Petri dishes containing water-saturated blotting paper.
- Serial dilutions of homogenized lungs were plated on Petri dishes containing trypticase soy agar.
late 19th century: named after Julius R. Petri (1852–1922), German bacteriologist.
More definitions of Petri dishDefinition of Petri dish in:
- The US English dictionary