- A system of exercises using special apparatus, designed to improve physical strength, flexibility, and posture, and enhance mental awareness: this quest for better training has led many dancers to Pilates [as modifier]: the Pilates methodMore example sentences
- The Pilates system develops strength, flexibility, co-ordination and relaxation.
- To complement your regular gym workout, try yoga or Pilates to improve your flexibility and endurance.
- Look at what you need to add to your exercise regime - Pilates, cardio or strength training?
1960s: named after the German physical fitness specialist Joseph Pilates (1880–1967), who devised the system.
More definitions of PilatesDefinition of Pilates in:
- The US English dictionary