A fossil anthropoid ape of the Miocene epoch, known from remains found in SW Asia and East Africa, and probably ancestral to the orang-utan.
- Genus Ramapithecus, family Pongidae
More example sentences
- In the history of the mammals the Miocene is important for the diversification of the primates and the emergence of the early hominid Ramapithecus later.
- I've wondered about that too, because in 1977 the British Museum published data indicating over 4,000 relevant fossil discoveries, including the australopithecines, Ramapithecus, and so on.
- No-one in the field any longer believes that Ramapithecus was our ancestor.
modern Latin, from Rama + Greek pithēkos 'ape'.
Definition of Ramapithecus in:
- The US English dictionary