noun (plural SIFIs)chiefly US
- A financial institution regarded as so important to the economy that its failure could lead to a widespread economic crisis: G20 finance ministers endorsed a comprehensive framework to reduce the risks posed by SIFIsMore example sentences
- There had been talk that the bank sought to be included on the Sifi list as a way of showing that it was part of the global elite.
- The minimum leverage capital requirement for SIFIs should be increased to a level well above the current requirement of five percent for well-capitalized institutions.
- Now they are turning their sights to so-called domestic SIFIs, banks deemed big enough to cause harm to their country's financial system should they run into trouble.
early 21st century: acronym from systemically important financial institution.
More definitions of SIFIDefinition of SIFI in:
- The US English dictionary