- A member of the Salii, a 4th-century Frankish people living near the River IJssel, from whom the Merovingians were descended.More example sentences
- The imperial crown was neglected for a while and when it was resurrected again it was held by Germans: the Ottonians, then the Salians.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Salii.More example sentences
- Edward the Confessor's Norman-style Westminster Abbey was, with the exception of the cathedral of the Salian emperors at Speyer, the largest church built north of the Alps since the fourth century.
- In 481-2, Clovis I became ruler of the Salian Franks of Tournai.
- The laws of the Salian Franks are considered a part of the Germanic Codes that predated Roman Law in Europe.
More definitions of SalianDefinition of Salian in:
- The US English dictionary