Definition of Saxon in English:
1A member of a people that inhabited parts of central and northern Germany from Roman times, many of whom conquered and settled in much of southern England in the 5th-6th centuries.
- There was relative peace with British rule over the western half of the country and Germanic rule in the east for the next fifty years, and it seems likely that the Britons may even have regained some areas of central England from the Saxons.
- Faced with invasion by a coalition of Picts and Saxons, the Roman citizens of Britain appeal to the Emperor for help; but Honorius is in no position to aid them.
- When Charlemagne conquered the Saxons, he extended his empire to the borders of Viking realms: specifically, to Friesland in southern Denmark.
adjectiveBack to top
1Relating to the Anglo-Saxons, their language (Old English), or their period of dominance in England (5th-11th centuries).
- Wales is contiguous to England and had been the subject of Saxon raids for centuries.
- For much of the Saxon period it was probably fairly wide and marshy, perhaps acting as a separator between Westwyk and Conesford.
- Across much of midland England wide-ranging changes took place in the countryside in the late Saxon period.
1.1Relating to or denoting the style of early Romanesque architecture preceding the Norman in England.
- The site develops with the construction of an aisled Late Saxon timber hall, which was one of King Cnut's royal manors.
- Within the church, parts of the Saxon north wall can be seen above the Norman arcade.
- On the outside of the north wall, (about a third of the way down the Nave), the remains of a Saxon doorway can be seen, complete with round headed arch and jambs of flint.
Pronunciation: /-nʌɪz/(also Saxonise) verb
Definition of Saxon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan