Definition of Shona in English:
noun (plural same or Shonas)
1A member of a group of peoples inhabiting parts of southern Africa. The Shona comprise over three quarters of the population of Zimbabwe, and smaller groups live in South Africa, Zambia, and Mozambique. See also Mashona.
- Now we are whites, blacks, coloureds, Asians, Shonas, Ndebeles…
- He is a government loyalist, a former police boss, a ruthless campaigner and inquisitor when it comes to identifying the opposition, and a member of the ruling ethnic group, the Shonas.
- There are two main ethnic groups, the Shona, who represent 75 percent of the population, and the Ndebele, who represent 19 percent.
2 [mass noun] Any of the closely related Bantu languages spoken by the Shona, with over 5 million speakers altogether.
- In common with other Bantu languages, Shona has a basic CV syllable structure.
- In others, such as Hausa, Shona, and Swahili, because of bilingualism and code-mixing, the influence may have affected not only vocabulary but also structure.
- After we saw the movie last Saturday, I was chatting with Bill, and he said his field methods consultant's mother is a Shona speaker.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Shona or their languages.
- The musical short film, based on a Shona folk tale, will premiere at ZIFF complete with a live performance of the songs in the film.
- In his presentation in Harare, Makoni highlighted the importance of ‘hunhu’, a Shona word for accepted African moral standards.
- When some Ndebele challenged this Shona dominance in the 1980s, his army's notorious Fifth Brigade murdered, raped and pillaged its way through Matabeleland.
A local name.
Words that rhyme with Shonabelladonna, Connor, donna, goner, gonna, honour (US honor), Maradona, Mashona, O'Connor, wanna
Definition of Shona in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan