- A large Italian island in the Mediterranean, off the south-western tip of Italy; capital, Palermo. It is separated from the Italian mainland by the Strait of Messina and its highest point is the volcano Mount Etna. Italian name Sicilia.
- More example sentences
- Venice similarly dislodged its Austrian government and proclaimed a republic, while in the south, the Bourbons were forced to grant the Neapolitans and Sicilians an effective bill of rights.
- A Sicilian, he was facing charges of aiding and abetting the mafia.
- A 3.7 magnitude quake also hit Mount Etna, the Sicilian volcano which began erupting Sunday.
Pronunciation: /sɪˈsɪlɪən/adjective & noun
More definitions of SicilyDefinition of Sicily in:
- The US English dictionary