noun (plural Singspiele /-ə/)
- A form of German light opera, typically with spoken dialogue, popular especially in the late 18th century.More example sentences
- The German Singspiel, English ballad opera, French opéra comique, and Spanish zarzuela tended to use spoken dialogue rather than recitative between the songs.
- A Singspiel is a stage work, frequently a comedy, in which musical numbers alternate with long stretches of spoken dialogue.
- The Thirty Years' War inhibited development of the Singspiel and gave additional scope to Italian works from across the Alps.
from German singen 'sing' + Spiel 'play'.
More definitions of SingspielDefinition of Singspiel in:
- The US English dictionary