(also Singhalese, Sinhala /sɪnˈhɑːlə/)
Definition of Sinhalese in English:
noun (plural same)
1A member of a people originally from northern India, now forming the majority of the population of Sri Lanka.
- I went to school with Tamils, Sinhalese and members of the Burgher community.
- I am sure the working class of Sri Lanka, Tamils and Sinhalese alike, will reject this perspective.
- The population of Trincomalee is divided into roughly equal numbers of Sinhalese and Tamils with a significant Muslim population.
2 [mass noun] An Indic language spoken by the Sinhalese, descended from Sanskrit. It has about 13 million speakers.
- It is not reasonable to ask him to go there because he has no family, friends, work, source of income or shelter in Colombo and does not speak the dominant language, Sinhalese.
- He was arrested on January 27 and was tortured and forced to sign a statement in Sinhalese, a language he does not understand.
- The only evidence against them are confessions extracted under torture and written in Sinhalese - a language none of them read or write.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Sinhalese or their language.
- As a registered party, the SEP was allocated 15 minutes on state-run television and radio to present its program in the Tamil and Sinhala languages.
- The principal medium of activity in the Vihara is the Sinhala language.
- He displayed a copy of the Sinhala language publication of the World Socialist Web Site.
Definition of Sinhalese in:
- US English dictionary