- An order of colonial marine coelenterates that includes the Portuguese man-of-war, having a float or swimming bell for drifting or swimming on the open sea.More example sentences
- These creatures are probably relatives of the Siphonophora, an order of colonial cnidarians that includes the venomous ‘Portuguese man-o-war’.
- Jones' last publication on the subject of marine life was on the morphology and relationships of the Siphonophora.
- The Portuguese man-of-war is actually any of various invertebrate, jelly-like marine animals of the family Siphonophora.
modern Latin (plural), from Greek siphōn 'tube' + pherein 'to bear'.
More definitions of SiphonophoraDefinition of Siphonophora in:
- The US English dictionary