Definition of Slav in English:
A member of a group of peoples in central and eastern Europe speaking Slavic languages.
- Greeks, Italians, Slavs, Turks and Russians all composed their own versions; they cannot possibly be reconciled.
- More headway was made among the Slavs of central Europe, aided by the relative ease of access and the penumbra of Carolingian power.
- The Russians are primarily eastern Slavs, but many also have a Finnish, Siberian, Turkish, or Baltic heritage.
adjectiveBack to top
another term for Slavic.
- The last three weeks have seen its fragile ethnic balance shaken, highlighting differences between the country's three-quarter Slav majority and its substantial Albanian minority.
- Albanian guerrillas with backing from Kosovo began operating in Macedonia earlier this year, bringing the majority Orthodox Slav country to the brink of civil war.
- They were forced to adopt Slav names and their religious and cultural rights were changed and this process became known as the Revival Process.
- Example sentences
- Professor Donskov is a leading Canadian Slavist in Russian literature and a world-renowned Tolstoy expert.
- She falls in love with him, moves in, and abandons him for a more serious scholar, a Swedish Slavist.
Definition of Slav in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India