Definition of Slovene in English:
1A native or inhabitant of Slovenia, or a person of Slovene descent.
- Just 78% believe they have a duty to protect nature, compared to 98% of Swedes, Danes, Slovenes and Germans.
- Some Slovenes opposed the National Assembly's 2001 decision to allow its waters to be used by nuclear-powered submarines and submarines with nuclear strike capabilities.
- Besides Slovene television programs, Slovenes can also watch Italian, Austrian, English, and American television shows, including news.
2 [mass noun] The Southern Slavic language of the Slovenes, with about 2 million speakers.
- The official language of the republic, Slovene, is a Slavic language.
- In the border provinces, Italian, Slovene, Croatian, Hungarian, and Czech are also spoken.
- EU law will be amended in May to recognise a number of EU languages including Hungarian, Slovene and Maltes.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Slovenia, its people, or their language.
- It was only on the Adriatic coast, where the Italian minority which remained outside Italy was proving a nuisance, that any concessions were made to the Slovene languages.
- In 1550, is was the Protestants who published the first book in the Slovene language.
- These non-Slavic influences are reflected in the Slovene language, which is written in the Latin alphabet, while most Slavic languages use the Cyrillic alphabet.
Definition of Slovene in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan