Definition of Songhai in English:
noun (plural same or Songhais)
1A member of a people of West Africa living mainly in Niger and Mali.
- The Gambia was once part of the Empire of Ghana and the Kingdom of the Songhais.
- There are also references to the Soce of Senegal, JoIa of Gambia, Songhay and Moors of Mali, and the Kru of Liberia.
- The second principal social problem involves political instability in the Republic of Niger, home to many of the Songhay.
2 [mass noun] The Nilo-Saharan language of the Songhai, with about 2 million speakers.
- Other major languages include Zarma, Songhay, Fulfulde, and Tamasheq.
- Other national languages promoted by the DNAFLA include Fulfuldé, Songhai, Senufo, Dogon, Soninké, and Tamasheq.
- Many of the Tuareg also speak Songhay, Hausa, and French, and read Arabic.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Songhai or their language.
- In this film he presents a documentary of social life in Wanzerbe, the famed village of Songhay sorcerers.
- Since farming is seasonal, many Songhay men have developed secondary occupations: trading, transport, or tailoring.
- Two contrasting modes and metaphorisations of taste occur in a Songhay village, and in eighteenth century England.
the name in Songhai.
Definition of Songhai in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan