noun[as modifier] Chemistry
- Denoting a form of condensing apparatus used for the continuous solvent extraction of a solid.More example sentences
- We dried aliquots at 90C to constant mass, extracted lipid from aliquots with petroleum ether using a Soxhlet apparatus for 24 h, and determined mineral content by combusting samples in a muffle furnace.
- Fat was extracted from the thorax and abdomen for 4 h with refluxing chloroform in a Soxhlet apparatus.
- A sample of 100 g of leaf powder was extracted with 50% ethanol in a Soxhlet apparatus.
late 19th century: named after Franz Soxhlet (1848–1926), Belgian chemist.
More definitions of SoxhletDefinition of Soxhlet in:
- The US English dictionary