- A large order of reptiles which comprises the snakes, lizards, and worm lizards.More example sentences
- Chromoviruses have been detected in the earliest reptilian lineage, the Squamata (snakes and lizards), and in crocodiles but not in the genomes of turtles.
- The Squamata were traditionally divided into two suborders - Lacertilia and Ophidia (snakes).
- Evidently, the ecology of snake origins must remain an open question until their sister-group relationships within Squamata have been determined.
modern Latin (plural), from Latin squama 'scale'.
More definitions of SquamataDefinition of Squamata in:
- The US English dictionary