- A member of one of the two principal sects of Jainism, which was formed circa 80 ad and survives today in parts of India. Ascetic adherents of the sect traditionally wear white clothing. See also Digambara.More example sentences
- In May, Svetambara and Digambara Jain munis performed pratistha ceremonies installing a murti Mahavira.
- The Svetambaras mainly remained in Gujarat, Kathiavar and parts of Rajasthan and the Digambaras were dominant in the Southern states of Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.
- Literally, the monks of the Digambaras are naked while those of the Svetambaras wear white clothes.
from Sanskrit śvetāmbara, literally 'white-clad'.
More definitions of SvetambaraDefinition of Svetambara in:
- The US English dictionary