Definition of Tahitian in English:
1A native or inhabitant of Tahiti, or a person of Tahitian descent.
- There is humor, during many of the scenes involving the crew cavorting with the native Tahitians.
- In addition, Tongans, Tahitians and, Fijians participate in the Pacific Islander Festival, a weekend event held annually in Southern California since 1990.
- Hawaiians are ethnic descendants of Tahitians who migrated north around 1200.
2 [mass noun] The language of Tahiti, a Polynesian language with about 125,000 speakers.
- A majority of the residents speak both French and Tahitian, the dominant Polynesian language.
- It is closely related to the other languages of Polynesia including Tahitian, Tonga, Maori, and Rarotongan.
- French Polynesia's official languages are French and Tahitian.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Tahiti, its people, or their language.
- Both Banks and Solander had studied the Tahitian language on their voyage to the South Pacific and they were asked to chaperone Omai when he arrived in England in 1774 and help him adapt to European life.
- Once known as ‘Sacred Havai'i ’, Raiatea was the traditional centre of Tahitian royalty, religion and culture, and its main attraction is the massive Taputaputea marae, the largest and most sacred site in Polynesia.
- The Lalique vases, in particular, and Tahitian pearls are selling very well.
Definition of Tahitian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India