- An honorific title of a Buddha, especially the Buddha Gautama, or a person who has attained perfection by following Buddhist principles.More example sentences
- The Buddha proclaimed himself a Tathagata and preached his first sermon, a momentous event in the history of Buddhism.
- Then at the same time the Tathagata dwelt together with bodhisattvas and others in the great stupa, in the mandala of the sphere of phenomena.
- Thus the Tathagata was encouraged to start spreading the Buddha Dharma…
from Pali Tathāgata, from tathā 'in that manner' + gata 'gone'.
More definitions of TathagataDefinition of Tathagata in:
- The US English dictionary