- (In the Roman Catholic Church) matins and lauds for the last three days of Holy Week, at which candles are successively extinguished. Several composers have set parts of the office to music.More example sentences
- Matins and Lauds were often combined; on the last three days of Holy Week this combined Office was called Tenebrae.
- On Wednesday night it was the service of Tenebrae at church.
- The Tenebrae church service last night was really moving.
Latin, literally 'darkness'.
More definitions of TenebraeDefinition of Tenebrae in:
- The US English dictionary