Definition of Thysanoptera in English:
1An order of insects that comprises the thrips.
- THE ORDER Thysanoptera, or thrips (pi. and sing.), is comprised of approximately 5,000 known species of small insects with diverse life histories and habits.
- For the other two hemipteroid orders, Thysanoptera and Psocoptera, only partial mtDNA sequences are available.
- For the Insecta, 29 families in 8 orders were identified, with species of Thysanoptera, Coleoptera, and Heteroptera being the most abundant.
1.1 (thysanoptera) Insects of the order Thysanoptera; thrips: thysanoptera frequent many kinds of plants
More example sentences
- But the scorching weather has also seen the arrival of the irritating heatwave insect, thysanoptera, commonly known as the thunder bug.
- The communities were dominated numerically by Thysanoptera (leaves and stalks) and Acari, but other taxa including Heteroptera and Coleoptera were also relatively common.
- Pollination is insect mediated, the main foragers observed in the field being small Coleoptera, Hymenoptera, Lepidoptera, Diptera, and Thysanoptera.
- 1thysanopteran noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Thrips, as thysanopterans are commonly called, are slender and may be winged or wingless.
- It would not be an exaggeration to describe him as ‘a man for all seasons’ when it comes to his thysanopteran research endeavours.
- Many thysanopterans disperse over short distances or migrate over large areas, and mass flights are observed.
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek thusanos 'tassel' + pteron 'wing'.
Definition of Thysanoptera in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.