- 1A town in northern Mali; population 35,600 (est. 2009). It was formerly a major trading centre for gold and salt on the trans-Saharan trade routes, reaching the height of its prosperity in the 16th century but falling into decline after its capture by the Moroccans in 1591. French name Tombouctou.
- 1.1Used in reference to a remote or extremely distant place: from here to TimbuktuMore example sentences
- Her already far away eyes began to beat a swift path for Timbuktu.
- If someone tells you they're going from here to Timbuktu you probably think they're on the road to nowhere.
- You would hear the screams from here to Timbuktu.
More definitions of TimbuktuDefinition of Timbuktu in:
- The US English dictionary