Definition of Tiwa in English:
noun (plural same or Tiwas)
1A member of a Pueblo Indian people living mainly in the region of Taos, New Mexico.
- The Tiwas use tribal masks for performing rituals.
- Many directed their anger from July 25 at the Texas Attorney General, who has sought to close both the Alabama-Coushatta and the Tiguas ' casino in El Paso.
- After the casino was shut down, they induced the Tiguas to hire them to wage a campaign to allow the casino's reopening.
2 [mass noun] The Tanoan language of the Tiwa, with fewer than 5,000 speakers. Compare with Tewa.
- Called the pikuria by their neighbors to the South - meaning ‘those who paint’ - the tribe's cultural heritage, including their language, Tiwa, is largely passed down orally.
- He has become active in an effort to teach Tiwa, his native language, to the pueblo's children, and he understands his ranch work as part of a larger effort to help defend the tribe's water rights.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Tiwa or their language.
- Even more brazen was the effort to funnel millions of dollars through him for a campaign to shut down the El Paso, Texas casino run by the Tigua tribe.
- The historic Taos Pueblo, home of the Tiwa Indians since at least 900 AD, now enjoys a rich mixture of Anglo, Native American and Spanish cultures.
- We got the entire Tigua tribal council coming by at one.
the name in Tiwa.
Definition of Tiwa in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan