Definition of Tlingit in English:
noun (plural same or Tlingits)
1A member of an American Indian people of the coasts and islands of SE Alaska.
- The bag was collected in the early twentieth century by Gregory Charles, a teacher in Telegraph Creek, British Columbia, where the Tahltans and Tlingits conducted trade with each other and the outside world.
- In Tlingit society today, even though many Tlingits marry other Tlingits, there exists a great deal of interracial marriage, which has changed some of the dynamics of family and clan relationships.
- The man never stopped talking, and he talked with everyone he met - white farmers, black freedmen, women of all ages, hordes of children, ministers of the gospel, a canoe full of Tlingits paddling along the Alaska coast.
2 [mass noun] The language of the Tlingit, which has about 2,000 surviving speakers.
- In the nineteenth century, the first attempts were made to communicate in Tlingit through writing.
- Gregor muttered something in Tlingit and Dmitri abruptly released him.
- The other clan held what amounts to an oral copyright, requiring that the story only be told, word-for-word, by an approved clan member who has committed it to memory, in Tlingit.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Tlingit or their language.
- Unlike the English alphabet of 26 letters, the Tlingit language has at least 32 consonants and eight vowels.
- An anthropologist of Tsimshian and Tlingit descent, his principles are derived from his experience with the Gitkxaala Nation in British Columbia.
- This book celebrates Tlingit traditions and demonstrates their unique facets.
the name in Tlingit.
Definition of Tlingit in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan