Definition of Udmurt in English:
1A member of a people of central Russia, living mainly in Udmurtia.
- These groups speak languages that are related to modern Finnish and/or Hungarian and include the Karelians, Komi, Maris, Mordvins, and Udmurts.
- The word n'an’ is simply the Persian word nan ‘bread’; the Udmurts learned of flour from Persians.
- In the Russian sources of the 14th - early 19th centuries Udmurts are mentioned under the name votyaki.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting the Udmurts or their language.
- In the Udmurt language, pel’ means ‘ear’ and n'an’ means anything made from flour: flour, dough, bread, etc.
- Furthermore, one ethnic Udmurt teacher of English maintained that her English was stronger than her Udmurt.
- ` What you have in your heart is what you actually are ’, said the Udmurt wise men of old.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan