Definition of Uralic in English:
1Relating to or denoting a family of languages spoken from northern Scandinavia to western Siberia, comprising the Finno-Ugric and Samoyedic groups.
- In contrast, the Saami, Finns, and Estonians speak languages belonging to the Uralic family, otherwise spoken across a broad region of northern Asia.
- Nenets is part of the Samoyedic group of Uralic languages and has two main dialects: Forest and Tundra.
- Their spoken language, Korean, is a Uralic language with similarities to Japanese, Mongolian, Hungarian, and Finnish.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
The Uralic languages collectively.
- The evidence for Indo-European, Uralic, Austronesian and so on is overwhelming, and there is no reason not to go deeper.
- A number of researchers in the field of Finnish, Uralic and general linguistics (author of this included) published a letter to Helsingin Sanomat, the main Finnish daily newspaper, protesting this nomination.
Definition of Uralic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia