Definition of Venetian in English:
Relating to Venice or its people: a Venetian painter of the Renaissance
More example sentences
- So this little wax portrait of the greatest Venetian painter and his son is a heartbreaking document.
- But a major development in the 18th century was the internationalization of the patronage of Venetian painters.
- The Venetian painter Vittore Carpaccio pictured Saint Augustine seated at a table in a roomy study, pausing, his pen raised from the paper.
nounBack to top
1A native or citizen of Venice.
- The harbourmaster should then lead the convoy up to Richmond, where the Venetians will moor up by Richmond Bridge Boathouse at 4pm.
- Grotius' treatise started a war of words, to which the Portuguese, the French, the English, the Spanish and even the Venetians all contributed.
- Francesco's attempt on Vicenza, a Venetian client state, gave the Venetians a pretext to invade in 1404.
Definition of Venetian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.