(also Venus's flytrap)
A small carnivorous bog plant with hinged leaves that spring shut on and digest insects which land on them. Native to the south-eastern US, it is also kept as an indoor plant.
- Dionaea muscipula, family Droseraceae
More example sentences
- Further, some plants (sundews, Venus flytrap, pitcher plants) trap mobile animals.
- In desperation he travelled to Germany to ‘receive an experimental drug made from the juices of the Venus flytrap plant’.
- Mahadevan likened the Venus flytrap's hinged leaves to a plastic lid that is bowed in one direction and then suddenly pops the other way.
Definition of Venus flytrap in:
- The US English dictionary