(also Wesak or Visākha)
- 1The most important Buddhist festival, taking place at the full moon when the sun is in the zodiacal sign of Taurus, and commemorating the birth, enlightenment, and death of the Buddha.More example sentences
- One of the most important festivals of all is Vesak at the full moon in May when the birth, enlightenment and decease of the Buddha are remembered.
- The TPF called off its campaign on the Buddhist festival of Vesak, but warned protests would resume.
- I remember during Vesak and other Buddhist festivals the inmates organised meals and other things for passers-by.
- 1.1The month in which the festival of Vesak occurs.More example sentences
- Thus began the great trance from which he was to emerge on the full moon day of the month of Vesak as a Fully Enlightened One, a Buddha.
- The Buddhist Calendar begins with the month of Vesak.
Sinhalese vesak, via Pali from Sanskrit vaiśākha, denoting the month April–May.
More definitions of VesakDefinition of Vesak in:
- The US English dictionary