- 1Relating to or denoting an age (or stage) in Europe crossing the boundary of the Upper Pliocene and Lower Pleistocene, lasting from about 3 to 1 million years ago.More example sentences
- In the early Villafranchian age we still see Ursus minimus around, although he has changed a bit.
- The medium-height terrace of La Nerthe contains a smaller amount of of Villafranchian pebbles.
- The Poggio Rosso fauna, yet to be paleontologically determined, and the other late Villafranchian faunas collected in the Upper Valdarno from the Montevarchi complex fit a similar time span.
late 19th century: from French villafranchien, from Villafranca d'Asti, the village in northern Italy near which exposures of this period occur.
More definitions of VillafranchianDefinition of Villafranchian in:
- The US English dictionary