A cat-sized opossum with a greyish body and a white face, widespread throughout North and Central America.
- Didelphis virginiana, family Didelphidae
More example sentences
- The world's 270 marsupials mostly live in Australia, neighboring islands, and South America, with the exception of North America's Virginia opossum, a relatively recent immigrant.
- I'm talking opossum here - Virginia opossum, to be precise, and Didelphis virginiana, to be specific.
- Behavioral studies on the Virginia opossum indicated evidence for color vision.
Definition of Virginia opossum in:
- The US English dictionary