- A member of the branch of the Goths who invaded the Roman Empire between the 3rd and 5th centuries ad and ruled much of Spain until overthrown by the Moors in 711.More example sentences
- The overthrow of the Visigoths by the Moors in 711 did not mean the end of viticulture, for the Islamic conquerors were enlightened rulers, who did not impose their own way of life on their subjects.
- After invasion and settlement by Goths, Visigoths, Turkmen, Arabs and others, it is almost impossible to see the Europeans and North Africans today as the direct heirs of those earlier people.
- In short, in the course of one evening, Busbecq was able to learn enough about Crimean Gothic to convince future linguists that its speakers were not Germans but a distinct group of Goths related to the Visigoths.
- More example sentences
- But the Crimean Goths were not speaking Visigothic, or even a dialect derived from Visigothic.
- But all of those Gothic kingdoms eventually succumbed in battle to assorted other peoples, the last to fall being Spain's Visigothic kingdom, conquered by Arabs in A.D.711.
- Although the Visigothic transmission of Roman media and vocabulary was important, only scattered architectural fragments survive to record the characteristic preference for flat patterns.
from late Latin Visigothus, the first element possibly meaning 'west' (compare with Ostrogoth).
More definitions of VisigothDefinition of Visigoth in:
- The US English dictionary