Definition of Winnebago in English:
noun (plural same or Winnebagos)
1A member of an American Indian people formerly living in eastern Wisconsin and now mainly in southern Wisconsin and Nebraska.
- In our assessment, the figures for the Winnebago (in eastern Wisconsin) probably most closely represent the kind of mixed economy the Oneota in western Wisconsin had during the time period of interest.
- The oral traditions of the Sioux, Hidatsa, Caddo, and Winnebago described the twins as having great power as well.
- As the most ancient form, ‘He-who-wears-human-heads-as-earrings’ is one of the four principal deities of the Winnebago.
3US trademark A motor vehicle with living accommodation used when travelling long distances or camping.
- In 1979 I glimpsed a dilapidated Winnebago in the parking garage of Denver's Stapleton Airport.
- But we don't need the stuff; I'd be happy living in a Winnebago with David because I love him so much.
- It introduced some of the festival buzz to backstage, which until then had been filled with luxury Winnebagos - not very rock 'n' roll,’ Falconer says.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Winnebago people or their language.
- According to Winnebago tradition, the ‘Children of the Sun’ wore inflated turkey bladders as headdresses.
- He has at least two aliases, best described by a passage given to Radin by his Winnebago informant, Sam Blowsnake, who quoted the oral tradition as spoken from Red Horn (the little brother) himself.
- Since 1995, unemployment on the Winnebago reservation has plunged from 70 percent to 20 percent.
Algonquian, literally 'person of the dirty water', referring to the muddy Fox River.
Words that rhyme with WinnebagoDiego, galago, Jago, lumbago, sago, Tierra del Fuego, Tobago
Definition of Winnebago in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan