Definition of Yiddishism in English:
1A Yiddish word or idiom, especially one adopted into another language: I speak with many Brooklynisms and an occasional Yiddishism
More example sentences
- Throughout the 20c, Yiddishisms have continued to make their way into English, increasingly as slang.
- His speech was punctuated by Yiddishisms, Hebrew, Greek and Arabic.
- sense 2.Example sentences
- He was inspired by the local poets to dedicate himself to Yiddish literature, which was then gaining prestige among socialists and Yiddishists as the authentic voice of the Jewish diaspora.
- The Yiddishists continued to hope for a continuation of their Yiddish cultural dream.
- The Yiddishist turned to his friend and said: ‘I'm afraid the Zionists are right.’
Definition of Yiddishism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan