Definition of Zionism in English:
1A movement for (originally) the re-establishment and (now) the development and protection of a Jewish nation in what is now Israel. It was established as a political organization in 1897 under Theodor Herzl, and was later led by Chaim Weizmann.
- Religious, cultural, and political differences, including Zionism, divided Jewish immigrants, old and new, into numerous conflicting camps.
- The pamphlet details the history of Zionism, the political movement for a Jewish homeland.
- We diverged politically and personally as time went on, especially on issues of Jewish identity and Zionism / Israel, but remained in permanent dialogue.
2(In southern Africa) a religious movement represented by a group of independent Churches which practise a form of Christianity incorporating elements of traditional African beliefs.
- In Zionism, African ‘prophets’ combined aspects of traditional African and Christian religious ritual, belief, and social organization.
Zionist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Secondly, I am led to believe that you are both Zionists (from the Zionist nature of your article).
- They were joined by a new religious force - fundamentalist Apostolic and Zionist churches.
- The military needs of the political Zionists coincided with those of the religious Zionists.
Definition of Zionism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia