1In fashion; up to date: [as adjective]: corduroy is extremely à la mode this season
More example sentences
- Pie was "a la mode" as commercial pie manufacturers trekked to Celebration, Fla., in April for the 2005 American Pie Council's (APC)/Crisco National Pie Championships, held in conjunction with the Great American Pie Festival.
- Rumors a la mode: Just a few things I've heard bouncing around...
- HOME A LA MODE. For the Grendene family, life at home is a fashionable affair that will never go out style.
2(Of beef) braised in wine.
- There are many recipes for beef a la mode.
- Boeuf à la mode("beef in the style") is a French version of what is often known in the United States as pot roast beef.
3North American Served with ice cream.
- Brownies a la mode. Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream on each serving.
- Fudgy casserole a la mode. Spoon into individual dishes and serve warm with ice cream.
- Pineapple a la mode. Place a scoop of ice cream, or yogurt in pineapple shell. Spoon pineapple pieces over ice cream and serve immediately.
Late 16th century: French, literally 'in the fashion'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: à la mode
Definition of à la mode in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.