Definition of abbreviate in English:
- I've got to agree with her about people abbreviating words when sending text messages.
- In order to save typing, many people will abbreviate common words and phrases.
- When there are lots of documents to be signed, I choose to abbreviate my signature.
- Our military decision-making process was abbreviated.
- Training hours are from 6 - 9 a.m. with Turfway abbreviating the period because it is concluding work on a new paddock and winner's circle.
- Hodges had his stay abbreviated but will return in March for a couple of months.
brief from Middle English:
Briefs or underpants, which were first worn in the 1930s, are literally ‘shorts’. Brief comes from the Latin word brevis, meaning ‘short’, a root shared by abbreviate (Late Middle English) and the musical note breve (Late Middle English), which used to mean a short note.
Words that rhyme with abbreviatealleviate, deviate
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.