Definition of abscission in English:
noun[mass noun] Botany
The natural detachment of parts of a plant, typically dead leaves and ripe fruit: leaf abscission in trees [as modifier]: abscission layer
More example sentences
- The presence and balance of plant hormones have been shown to affect abscission of leaves, flowers, and immature and mature fruit.
- Ethylene is involved in many biological processes, like fruit ripening, flower and leaf abscission, senescence, many stress acclimations, and growth.
- They produce numerous biological effects including promotion of leaf senescence and abscission, stomatal closure, inhibition of root growth, and germination of non-dormant seeds.
early 17th century: from Latin abscissio(n-), from abscindere, from ab- 'off' + scindere 'to cut'.
- Example sentences
- The seeds and any abscised siliques were collected from plastic collars around the plant.
- Abscission dynamics was obtained by plotting abscised fruitlets collected from the ground at 1 d intervals and expressed per tree.
- In the short term, stomata usually open again within a few days when water stress is still imposed. ‘Xeromorphic’ leaves are often the first to be abscised after rewatering and new leaves are formed by bud break.
Definition of abscission in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia