- 1 [mass noun] A potent green aniseed-flavoured liqueur, originally made with the shrub wormwood.More example sentences
- Kerrie admitted having drunk two shots of absinthe, a shot of vodka and a can of Stella Artois lager on the night in question.
- But no one, not even the manufacturers, claim that this new French product is actual absinthe.
- Lesser quality absinthe was made by adding plant extracts to lower grade alcohol.
- 2 [mass noun] another term for wormwood ( sense 1).
late Middle English: from French absinthe, via Latin from Greek apsinthion 'wormwood'.
More definitions of absintheDefinition of absinthe in:
- The US English dictionary