Definition of abstinent in English:
Refraining from an activity or from the consumption of something, especially alcohol: the patients are best advised to be totally abstinent from alcohol
More example sentences
- In order to be eligible to be placed, residents will need to be abstinent from drugs and alcohol and remain so, on or off
- It is therefore highly unlikely that he will be abstinent from alcohol unless he was sectioned and in a locked environment.
- He said that he remained abstinent from alcohol and marijuana for ten years.
- Example sentences
- Tho' I am as temperate as a man need be, I no longer live so abstinently as I had done before.
- In prison the "classical" target group for methadone treatments (therapy drop-outs, offenders who are reluctant to live abstinently, who are physically and socially incriminated) is great.
Words that rhyme with abstinentdeterminant
Definition of abstinent in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan