Definition of acceptor in English:
1.1 Chemistry An atom or molecule which is able to bind to or accept an electron or other species: some micro-organisms can use oxygen as an electron acceptor
More example sentences
- The first step of the Calvin cycle is the addition of carbon dioxide to an acceptor molecule.
- The glow of the firefly, which is due to the oxidation of the molecule luciferin, with the enzyme luciferase acting as a catalyst in the oxidation process and oxygen acting as the electron acceptor, is an example of bioluminescence.
- Peroxidases are haem-containing enzymes which mediate oxidation of a variety of molecules using hydrogen peroxide as an electron acceptor.
1.2 Physics An acceptor atom forming a positive hole in a semiconductor.
- Our results suggest that the mechanism of signaling state formation in this new family involves the deprotonation of the FAD chromophore, a process in which a conserved tyrosine may function as the proton acceptor.
- The number of photons needed approaches infinity when the acceptor is completely depolarized.
- The holes likewise leave negative acceptor ions.
Definition of acceptor in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.