Definition of acclaim in English:
Praise enthusiastically and publicly: the conference was acclaimed as a considerable success
More example sentences
- Then they would be publicly acclaimed as role models for the loyal opposition.
- They are some of the most committed people i know and should be publicly acclaimed.
- This as their visiting fans acclaimed their team with a volley of applause that would have done justice to a rookery of seals.
praise, applaud, cheer, commend, express approval of, approve, express admiration for, welcome, pay tribute to, speak highly of, eulogize, compliment, congratulate, celebrate, sing the praises of, praise to the skies, rave about, go into raptures about/over, heap praise on, wax lyrical about, say nice things about, make much of, pat on the back, take one's hat off to, salute, throw bouquets at, lionize, exalt, admire, hail, toast, flatter, adulate, vaunt, extol, glorify, honour, hymn, clap
informal crack someone/something up
North American informal ballyhoo
black English big someone/something up
dated cry someone/something up
proclaim, announce, declare, pronounce, hail as
celebrated, admired, highly rated, lionized, revered, honoured, esteemed, exalted, lauded, vaunted, much touted, well thought of, well received, acknowledged;
eminent, venerable, august, great, renowned, distinguished, prestigious, illustrious, pre-eminent, estimable, of note, noted, notable, of repute, of high standing, considerable
noun[mass noun] Back to top
Enthusiastic and public praise: she has won acclaim for her commitment to democracy
More example sentences
- Barbarian Invasions has won plaudits and critical acclaim in Canada and elsewhere.
- Since then he has won much acclaim and has had many public commissions, often on a large scale.
- He has achieved it without sponsorship, riches or public acclaim.
approval, admiration, approbation, congratulations, commendation, welcome, flattery, kudos, adulation, homage;
rare extolment, laudation, eulogium
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia