Definition of acidosis in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
An excessively acid condition of the body fluids or tissues.
- Illnesses include ailments resulting from mineral deposition caused by acidosis, arthritis, and arteriosclerosis.
- She had the respiratory distress and metabolic acidosis of severe malaria, and needed blood urgently.
- Lactic acidosis, rhabdomyolysis, and multiple organ dysfunction syndromes can complicate this disease.
- Example sentences
- Patients with severe falciparum malaria are acidotic and compensate by hyperventilation.
- At age 26 months he was referred to the department of gastroenterology, and by then was severely malnourished, hypokalaemic, and acidotic.
- Peripheral rewarming can be associated with shock, acidosis and hyperkalemia when cold, acidotic peripheral blood is returned centrally.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan